I have been making woodland and winter gnomes for my Etsy shop and I decided to make spring and summer elementals and offer them as a seasonal set.
Gnomes are known in various countries by various names. For example, Tomten in Sweden, Leprechaun in Ireland, Dwarves in Germany, Dactyls in Greece. They are part of a classification of elemental beings from myths and legends and correspond
to the four elements:
- Gnome, spirit of earth
- Undine (also known as a nymph or mermaid), spirit of water
- Sylph, spirit of wind (also known as spirit of air)
- Salamander, spirit of fire
Check these links from Wikipedia for the traditional description.
And here is a small selection of books for wonderful tales about elementals from the Waldorf tradition.
- Fairy Worlds and Workers, Marjorie Spock
- Nature Spirits, Rudolf Steiner
- Nature Spirits and Elemental Beings, Marko Pogacnik
- The Seven Year Wonder Book,
- The Tomten, Astrid Lindgren
- Tales of Tiptoes Lightly, Reg Down
- Liputto, Richard H. K. Vietor
- Over the Hills and Far Away Stories of Dwarfs, Fairies, Gnomes,and Elves from around Europe Illustrated by Ineke Verschuren , Daniela Drescher
Then I gather materials.
I tend to work in batches. So I have chosen a body color for each season.
I have templates that I have made for the woodland and winter gnomes so I will use those again: hat, garment and beard.