Gnomes for the Four Seasons-Work In Process



I have been making woodland and winter gnomes for my Etsy shop and I decided to make spring and summer elementals and offer them as a seasonal set.



Gnomes are known in various countries by various names.  For example, Tomten in Sweden, Leprechaun in Ireland, Dwarves in Germany, Dactyls in Greece.  They are part of a classification of elemental beings from myths and legends and correspond
to the four elements:

Check these links from Wikipedia for the traditional description.



And here is a small selection of books for wonderful tales about elementals from the Waldorf tradition.

For adults:
  • Fairy Worlds and Workers, Marjorie Spock
  • Nature Spirits, Rudolf Steiner
  • Nature Spirits and Elemental Beings, Marko Pogacnik

For children:

If you have read my blog before you might recognize the process I use to begin a project.  The unseen part is thinking and daydreaming about what I want to make before I begin to bring it into form.  I might look through my books from my days as a Waldorf teacher for inspiration, or hold the project in my mind as I fall asleep.


Then I gather materials.



                                                                       



 I tend to work in batches. So I have chosen a body color for each season.











 I have templates that I have made for the woodland and winter gnomes so I will use those again: hat, garment and beard.



Come back soon to see what the finished set will look like.


Linking up with many wonderful Blog hops HERE




Comments

Popular Posts