The Grand Old Man of Folk Music

I saw Pete Seeger in the 90's at the Ben and Jerry's Music Festival in Vermont.  He was wonderful and inspiring.

Click on the link to Bandcamp hear this wonderful song.

To My Old Brown Earth-Pete Seeger 




To My Old Brown Earth

by Pete Seeger

To My Old Brown Earth cover art
00:00 / 04:08
  • Immediate download of To My Old Brown Earth in your choice of high-quality MP3, FLAC, or just about any other format you could possibly desire.

     

about

From the album "Pete" (1996, Living Music), which won the Grammy award for Best Traditional Folk Album of 1996.

About this song, Pete wrote: "In 1958 I sang at the funeral of John McManus, co-editor of the radical newsweekly, The Guardian, and regretted that I had no song worthy of the occasion. So this got written."

lyrics

To my old brown earth
And to my old blue sky
I'll now give these last few molecules
of "I"

And you who sing
And you who stand nearby
I do charge you not to cry

Guard well our human chain
Watch well you keep it strong
As long as sun will shine

And this our home
Keep pure and sweet and green
For now I'm yours
And you are also
Mine

credits

released 30 January 2014
Words and music by Pete Seeger, 1958

tags

license

all rights reserved

Comments

Popular Posts