Families of Color Part 3, Native American woman

If you have not read Part 1 or Part 2 click here:

http://bridgitsbell.blogspot.com/2012/06/work-in-process-families-of-color.html 

http://bridgitsbell.blogspot.com/2012/06/families-of-color-part-2-native.html



 Here is my work table for the day, my cool shady backyard patio table.  It means I have to gather all my supplies and move them out here and that usually means forgetting something and having to jump up and get it.  

Where do you work?  Do you have a dedicated place?  A studio?




 I made a paper pattern shown on the left after taking measurements of the peg doll.  This is for the dress of the Native American woman.  Once the dress pattern is tweaked I will use it to cut out many dresses and  I will shrink it on my printer for the child's dress.  




 I tweaked it by cutting out a prototype from the leather and fitting it to the doll with the arms in place.  Then I will make adjustments to the paper pattern.




 I fringed the bottom of the dress and sleeves and added beads.  It was quite difficult to push a needle through this weight of scrap leather even with a thimble.


 For arms/hands I used a chenille stick (formerly known as a pipe cleaner) that I wrapped with sheeps wool and capped with a wood bead.
For this prototype I experimented with nylon thread that would not be visible but the next one I do I will use waxed white thread.  It needs to be thin enough for the seed beads.















 I am using black dyed wool roving for her hair and I plan to braid it.  This is the roving that spinners use.



And here she is with a leather headband, a beaded necklace at her throat and long braids.  I am not so satisfied with the beading on the dress so I may redo it.

Next time the whole family will be done!!

 
This post is linked up to Magic Onions and Natural Suburbia and The Handmade Homemaker  and Twig and Toadstool all-spunk-no-junk-link-up and Frontier DreamsKeep Calm on Crafting

Comments

Post a Comment

Wahoo! Comments are fun. I will always try to check out your blog, shop or website and follow back. I want to support the work and ideas of fellow cyberspace community members.

Popular Posts